Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Going, Going, Going . . . RAW

Today is day 10 of the Master Cleanse for me. It's a good day. After 10 days of not eating solid food and surviving on lemon juice and maple syrup, tomorrow I get to drink fresh squeezed orange juice. A-W-E-S-O-M-E! No, I don't get to eat solid food, that won't happen until Day 13, but orange juice day is my favorite.

I do the Master Cleanse four times a year. Once every quarter. It gives my body an opportunity to reset. Flush out all the crap I may have consumed and the 10 days of not eating helps me focus my thoughts on eating conciously - the way I believe we are suppose to eat. Please don't misunderstand -- I love food and I enjoy eating and don't eat perfectly every day -- but one or two days of not conciously eating can lead to a host of bad food choices and I personally like the reset the cleanse provides.

What makes this particular cleanse significant, however, is that when I come off of it I will be attempting to eat a primarily raw diet. I've been a vegetarian for two years. Not a true vegetarian because I have eaten my share of fish, but a vegetarian all the same. During this cleanse I felt the need to take a step and move closer to what I think my body desires -- a raw, natural, vegan diet.

Technically, today, June 1, 2011 is the first day of that journey. While I didn't eat anything solid, I drank fresh lemon juice and pure grade B maple syrup that was not heated -- and I feel good about that. Day 1 going raw is behind me. :)

The test will be once food is introduced again how I handle it. Truth be told, I love bread and I don't know how raw food will translate that love for me. We have a dehydrator and it is a given that some form of "bread like substance" will be necessary to make this work. . .

Eating at restaurants will be a bigger challenge as well -- there are a handful of fine restaurants in the Portland Metro area that have raw options, but outside of them it's all about a salad. . .

Excited to see how my transition goes. Feeling good about the decision.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment